CARS Residential Addiction Recovery Center
CARS Residential Addiction Recovery Center (RARC) is a 60-bed, co-ed SUD (Substance Use Disorder) treatment program located 90 minutes northwest of Binghamton and 90 minutes southwest of Syracuse in Trumansburg, New York.
At CARS RARC we focus on transformation and hope. We focus on the development of two “core skills.” We believe our role is to use these core skills to partner with the recovering individual to build the foundation for lifelong recovery. We also know this quest for a new life free from addiction is not an easy one. We believe a clear focus on the “why” and “how” of transformation is the single most important factor for success in our program
Why are we (you and us) here at CARS Residential Addiction Recovery Center (RARC) Program?
We believe every addicted man or woman has a destination in mind when they think about recovery from addiction. We believe that destination might be summed up as the legacy of a decent, sober and upright life well lived and all the wondrous things that come from that, such as a warm and loving home, good and robust health, a supportive and caring community, and an enriching and meaningful purpose.
Of course, anyone might ask how do we get to that destination? How will we know the right direction?
We will maintain our direction and focus by using the compass of recovery. Recovery is “a process of change through which individuals improve their health and wellness, live a self-directed life, and strive to reach their full potential.” –SAMHSA Recovery Strategic Support Initiative, 2012
Now that we have a destination and a direction how will we make sure we stay on course?
We will use the “map” of core skills to keep us on course. Learning and practicing the two skills and six methods below, we will focus on learning and practicing in the six to 10 weeks (average stay; yours may be a bit longer or shorter.)
These two “core skills” are:
- Coping with urges, craving, impulsive behavior and cognitive distortions
- Build a social, emotional, and behavioral functioning
- Increased empathy
- Successful social interactions
- Increase in self-efficacy (authentic power)
- Managing of urges and cravings to use
- Skill in the use of social supports available within the community
OASAS regulations 820.11
We are dedicated to providing the most effective services to our clients to aid in their recovery. CARS treatment services are based on the evidence-based Matrix Model.
A variety of clinical approaches are utilized within our treatment programs which include: Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Motivational Interviewing, Dialectic Behavioral Therapy, Strengths Based Therapy, Trauma Informed Care, Crisis Intervention, and Solution- Focused Brief Therapy, among others.
All the work at CARS RARC happens with the community of recovering men and women partnering with the staff to succeed in this work of transformation. As a community member you will be expected to adhere to the following pledge:
In This Community of Recovering Men and Women
We extend grace and generosity of spirit
We welcome strangers
We laugh and cry
We make mistakes
We show mercy
We give thanks
We celebrate life
We believe in love and possibility
We are a community committed to recovery
Finally, to live and work together there must be common agreement and understanding of what is acceptable and positive behavior and standards. We have only five rules at CARS RARC. They are:
In general, if you follow 5 main rules while you are here all of the others will take care of themselves, they are:
- Be personally accountable for your behavior and its consequences
- Be polite at all times to all others
- Be on time & be where you should be
- Don’t smoke or use tobacco, alcohol or other drugs
- Don’t fraternize
Some practical information:
- Pack like you are going on a 7-day trip; there are laundry facilities so you can wash clothes etc; a large suitcase, 30” X 18” X 9” is the maximum we suggest; please note that items in excess of this might have to be shipped back home
- Bring NO electronic devices with any level of connectivity; any electronic devices (connective or not) may be placed in contraband, under lock and key, for the duration of your stay
- Bring NO tobacco products such as cigarettes, chew, vape machines, E-Cigarettes, and cigars; these will be confiscated and destroyed
- Bring any important papers or ID cards pertaining to your medical care and health insurance
- Bring an attitude and approach of gratitude, humility and hard work and you will succeed in reaching your goals at CARS RARC
Insurance and payment information:
- We accept Medicaid/Medicaid Managed Care and commercial insurance; please be in touch if your payment situation falls outside these parameters as it is our desire to explore all possible avenues that will allow you to receive the addiction recovery care you need
We believe that our program is best defined by our mission statement. CARS is "A professional community resource providing caring and effective recovery services dedicated to improving quality of life by promoting individual dignity and respect for all."